Do I Need to Power Flush My Central Heating System
This article talks about the benefits and cost of a power flush, including the symptoms to look out for that tell you a power flush might beneficial and hence, save you future boiler breakdowns and costs.
The need for power flushing comes from a build-up of oxide sludge and calcium in the central heating system.
Sludge or calcium build up in a heating system means there could be an underlying problem that’s allowing air to get into the central heating system, causing radiators and heat exchangers to corrode.
This leaves rust and debris in the bottom of radiators which corrodes down into oxide sludge. This then leads to blocked waterways in radiators, pipe work and heat exchangers.
Blockages slow down the transfer of heat which causes pipe, valve and heating control server damage. It will, in some cases, lead to boiler replacement.
Be warned: changing your boiler without power flushing your heating system first could lead to you needing another boiler in the near future! This also applies to the controls which may have also been replaced on the system. More importantly, it will render your manufactures guarantee void.
Power Flush Cost and Benefits
How do you know if your system will benefit from a power flush? Here’s a number of symptoms to look out for:
- Boiler switching on and off frequently (aka ‘cycling’)
- Boiler constantly breaking down
- If you have a combination boiler you may notice that the hot water keeps getting hot and then cold. A non-stable temperature may continue to get worse, until you do not get any hot water at all.
- Boiler making banging and/or knocking noises
- Central heating radiators taking a long time to heat up
- Radiators getting cold spots
- Radiators not getting very hot when the pipe work is getting hot
- House always feels cold even when the heating is on
- Boiler making ‘kettling’ noise (resembles a kettle boiling)
What happens if I don’t power flush my central heating system?
If you don’t power flush your central heating system, then your boilers can become so damaged that it will be deemed uneconomical to repair consequently, requiring a replacement.
- The efficiency of the system will be affected, costing you lots of money in fuel and system repair bills
- Cause mechanical failure of pumps, motorised valves, heat exchangers and hydraulic systems in boilers
- Pin holes will form in radiators and heat exchangers, requiring replacement or repair
- Leaking black muddy oily oxide sludge will damage anything it comes into contact with, such as carpets, worktops and flooring
What benefits can I expect after power flushing?
Good news! There’s many benefits to power flushing your central heating:
- Faster radiator ‘heating up’ time
- All radiators produce more heat
- Boiler runs quieter
- Overall central heating system quieter
- No cold spots on radiators
- Cheaper gas bill – means your money stretches further
- Better hot water temperatures
- Less risk of breakdown
- More reliable and efficient central heating system, giving you a warmer house at less cost
What does a Power Flush Cost
Prices depend on the size of your property, how many radiators and the size of them. Our power flushing services are priced competitively and come with a full guarantee. Contact us today to organise a power flush for your central heating system and boiler, get an online quote by tapping the button or speak to our staff for some friendly advice.
We cover London, Middlesex and Hertfordshire locations.
Book your appointment by contacting us today.
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website if for general information purposes only. You should not rely upon the material or information on the website as a basis for making any decisions or actions and we don t accept liability for anything you chose to do with the information.
Get a Quote
Use the online quote button or call us free. Tell us what the problem is. We'll quote you a price and get your agreement to proceed.
Get the work done
We'll take your address details and come at a time to suit you. We carry a range of common spare parts so we can usually get things working with one visit.
Get on With Your Day
Carry on enjoying your day in the happy knowledge that your repairs are done and everything is working smoothly in your home.